Vajracakra

The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:00 am 

Thanks cone. As I said it was a gift and came without a label of any kind and I am a complete orchid virgin. So which variety it is I know not. I am just following generalised advice.
Anyway exciting news on the non-metaphorical orchid front......a beautiful jade green process of some kind is happening between the leaves.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:10 am 

conebeckham,
Regarding Dendrobiums, have you checked out the following books?

https://www.amazon.com/Dendrobium-Its-R ... 881924903/
https://www.amazon.com/Orchid-Species-C ... 881923664/

Simonagain,
You could take a picture of it, and maybe someone here is able to identify it for you, which could help you with more specific advice.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:23 am 

Mathias wrote:
conebeckham,
Regarding Dendrobiums, have you checked out the following books?

https://www.amazon.com/Dendrobium-Its-R ... 881924903/
https://www.amazon.com/Orchid-Species-C ... 881923664/

Simonagain,
You could take a picture of it, and maybe someone here is able to identify it for you, which could help you with more specific advice.

Good idea Mathias... :up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:18 pm 

Yes! let's see a picture. Or, Simon, just google Orchid images and post one that's close to what you've got.....I understand right now it's just leaves, but.....

As for the recommended books--I haven't read either of those, they look good, but dense. My orchid hobby was much more intense a decade ago...I still have about 15 in the house, or down in my garage, etc., but I've cut back on my addiction drastically.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:27 pm 

conebeckham,

The first one is a little lighter in reading, more presentable. The second not so much (definitely for the dedicated collector). It's just text and a ton of useful data, without pictures, so it's assumed people know what they're looking for. Just thought in case you wanted to try your luck with the Dendrobiums, these two books could be of help. But I understand where you're coming from :)

Anyways, growing things - whether orchids, trees, moss, etc - is a rewarding and wonderful hobby!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:06 pm 

conebeckham wrote:
Yes! let's see a picture. Or, Simon, just google Orchid images and post one that's close to what you've got.....I understand right now it's just leaves, but.....

As for the recommended books--I haven't read either of those, they look good, but dense. My orchid hobby was much more intense a decade ago...I still have about 15 in the house, or down in my garage, etc., but I've cut back on my addiction drastically.

My wife has a picture taken when it was still in bloom. As soon as I can get my technotard head around it I'll try to post it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:45 am 

Something is definitely happening!
In addition to the jade green processes I described previously which turned out to be new roots, there are differently shaped jade green processes appearing at the top of the plant... :up
Consulting photos, I think they will turn out to be ....No, I feel suddenly superstitious :biggrin ..