Vajracakra

The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: U.K. Elections.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:38 am 

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Got to say though, the turn out was awful at 68.7%, according to the BBC.

Edit: that's not too bad, according to the BBC the 2015 election turn out was 66.1%

Yes, several things happened. The SNP lost loads of seats, Labour had a very good turnout and it seems to have been boosted by younger voters (sutdent loan promises?).

Maninly, though, May ran a terrible campaing and was personally unconvincing.

Corby has spent his whole life campaigning and ran a good campaign. I think people should have looked beyond that and imagined what he would be like as a leader, as a negotiator and a diplomat.

Anyway, it will ne Tory plus SDLP for a while. May should step aside but won't and I predict we'll have another election before too long as Parliament will be unable to produce a Brexit plan.

मान्त्रिक (Mantrik)

http://khyung.com

My legal UK name today is:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:59 am 

I don't pretend to understand the mental machinations of politicians, but I find it extraordinary that Theresa May feels that she has a mandate to continue, and equally extraordinary that she would want to.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:38 am 

Bookies must be taking bets on how long she will last. If she hangs on it will be very messy.

मान्त्रिक (Mantrik)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:13 am 

Excellent DW thread posted by DGA 'The Tyranny Of The Elderly' good points well made. This General Election will hopefully mark and end to that tyranny in the UK. It is time to hand over to the generation which currently struggle to emulate anything like the lifestyle of their parents and grandparents..it's time to put the needs of younger citizens first.
As the piece quoted in DGA's thread makes clear, the most recent manifestation of this tyranny, this selfishness. was the E.U. Referendum when old reactionaries voted away the future prosperity of the young. In many ways this G.E. can be seen as the revenge of the Remainers. I have written elsewhere of going to vote in the Referendum and my heart sinking as I saw a queue of ancients with steely glints in their eyes..it was easy to guess which side they were on....homophobic, chauvinistic, xenophobic reactionaries.
This election will hopefully mark the end of public policy being dictated by those whose lives are at the end stage.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:59 am 

So now the UK's policies are in part going to be dictated the DUP, which is comprised of some of the most extremist Protestants in the UK...homophobes, Young Earth Creationists, Bible thumpers. Great.

Last edited by Simonagain on Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:07 am 

Simonagain wrote:
I don't pretend to understand the mental machinations of politicians, but I find it extraordinary that Theresa May feels that she has a mandate to continue, and equally extraordinary that she would want to.

well, she has been encouraged for some time by a media lobby that has persistently - and obviously incorrectly - characterised Corbyn as insane, an anorak, and a shut-in. on the back of that level of echo-chamber, you can forgive her for thinking that any support from the electorate constitutes a "massive landslide" and so on.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:07 pm 

Simonagain wrote:
Excellent DW thread posted by DGA 'The Tyranny Of The Elderly' good points well made. This General Election will hopefully mark and end to that tyranny in the UK. It is time to hand over to the generation which currently struggle to emulate anything like the lifestyle of their parents and grandparents..it's time to put the needs of younger citizens first.
As the piece quoted in DGA's thread makes clear, the most recent manifestation of this tyranny, this selfishness. was the E.U. Referendum when old reactionaries voted away the future prosperity of the young. In many ways this G.E. can be seen as the revenge of the Remainers. I have written elsewhere of going to vote in the Referendum and my heart sinking as I saw a queue of ancients with steely glints in their eyes..it was easy to guess which side they were on....homophobic, chauvinistic, xenophobic reactionaries.
This election will hopefully mark the end of public policy being dictated by those whose lives are at the end stage.

The selfish elderly he refers to are very far removed from the reality of most elderly folk I know, including an increasing number who are lucky to get half an hour of care a day and get to wallow in their own shit and piss until dementia robs them of their minds and bodies if they live that long. The younger ones may have had their benefits reassessed and now receive nothing....oh yes, these people are tyrants.

Meanwhile, many of the young folk I see, whether factory workers or uni students, have an 'entitlement'mentality and moan about not being able to afford a home whilst demanding 3 holidays a year, the latest iPhone and nights out every other day. Sure, they are entitled to my home after I sweated inside soot and asbestos boilers, put every penny into a mortgage which was then stolen from me (endowment fiasco) in times of great hardship. I respecfully suggest DGA could not post such twaddle if he had the first idea of hard work.

I find it funny that you are pretty old yet imagine that you are alone in not being a bigoted old xenophobe and everyone else you saw voting must be. Many are still poor in spite of committing a lifetime to working and paying their taxes. Those with savings and homes are far more likely to be worried about the impending Grexit (yes again) and the collapse of Santander than whether the bloke cleaning their car is from Poland.

Or perhaps those who did manage to vote Brexit were actually thinking of protecting the jobs of those very same young people - against the flood of immigrant workers prepared to undercut them and prop up the evil culture of zero hour contracts?

मान्त्रिक (Mantrik)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:42 pm 

daelm wrote:
Simonagain wrote:

well, she has been encouraged for some time by a media lobby that has persistently - and obviously incorrectly - characterised Corbyn as insane, an anorak, and a shut-in. on the back of that level of echo-chamber, you can forgive her for thinking that any support from the electorate constitutes a "massive landslide" and so on.

I actually think that she is sincere. Which does not mean that she is remotely suited to the role that she aspires to.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:25 am 

Senior Tories issued an ultimatum, If May does not sack her advisors Nick Timothy and Fiona Hill, they will mount a leadership challenge...Timothy and Hill have now resigned.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:32 am 

Simonagain wrote:
So now the UK's policies are in part going to be dictated the DUP, which is comprised of some of the most extremist Protestants in the UK...homophobes, Young Earth Creationists, Bible thumpers. Great.

well, that tells you a lot about the Tories. May and co will actually align with these folk, at the expense of their constituents, rather than having the personal integrity to resign. but I'm sure we'll find enough people willing to blame Corbyn for decisions made by May. because that's the norm, isn't it.

d

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next