The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sangtig phurba
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:46 pm 

Thank you heart, now it is even clearer to me

Post subject: Re: Sangtig phurba
PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:44 am 

Tsewang Drakpa's sadhana has more "elaboration" but the basic framework is the same, if I recall. I think he adds Offering Blessing (Chopa Jinlab), maybe a preliminary torma as well....it's been awhile since I've looked at it.

In any case, there are different ways to approach this Sangtik Phurba, that's for sure. In Kamtsang tradition it's done as a 7 day retreat at the beginning of a three year retreat, and then every evening thereafter, for the duration of the retreat. During the seven day retreat, one offers torma daily, adding a tebkyu, or little triangle of dough, to the plate the main torma is on. The "Self-Empowerment" which is taken from the torma is sometimes left off until the last day of the retreat, though sometimes it's done daily. Depends on your tradition. In Kamtsang we don't add the protector practices in here, as those are done in the context of Mahakala Sadhana, and usually there's a different yidam generation prior to that. Nyingmapas use Kilaya, in general, as the self-generation basis for protector offerings, I think--though there are other possibilities, like Guru Drakpo, etc.

There's also a short torma offering for the specific Phurba protectors, in the Chogling Tersar volume associated with Sangtik Phurba--it's pretty short, and can be added in...