Vajracakra

The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:08 pm 

Malcolm wrote:
Will wrote:
Malcolm, In a couple of places Dragpa Gyaltsen is quoted saying that clear enunciation of the name of Manjushri will lead him to be your yidam for seven lifetimes.

Any details on that practice; 'clear' meaning visualization also...?

Probably is a reference to reciting the Mañjuśrīnāmasaṃgiti tantra, actually. Which text?

No text ref - just mentioned in Sakya Pandita by Wilkinson in the bio. - page 175

EDIT - Found this, so you may be right:

Again, when I was about 21 years old, one afternoon, I fell asleep in meditation posture, and again dreamed that I was reciting the Manjushri Namasamgita, even though in this life, I had never learned it. Clearly, I must have memorized it in previous lives. Later, Manjushri revealed to me in a dream that he had been my special tutelary deity during my past seven lives.” - See more at: http://www.hhthesakyatrizin.org/traditi ... RjBjL.dpuf

Nietzsche

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:20 am 

Are his translations of Dzogchen tantras accurate? One review said they were bad. I generally don't go by one bad review but surely someone with knowledge here has read one of his translations.
Mutsuk Marro or Malcolm or anyone else?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:14 am 

I have no idea, I just forwarded the infos about their being published but I can't afford buying the books themselves. I'll have a look when I can find some pdfs of these. However, I had a careful look at the "Beyond Secret" book which supposedly translates the Pan-sgrub of the Beero Gyübum. I read it with JL's version in French to compare and honestly, it looked as if they used 2 very different sources. I checked with the Tibetan and I don't really know or understand what C. Wilkinson did (sometimes it's Ok or correct, sometimes it's not, etc.). It seems his spoken Tibetan is good (as far as I've been told, never met him) but written and spoken Tibetan are 2 different things.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:25 am 

Upon checking his webpage on Amazon, he seems to have pretty good feedback. Any link for the bad review ? Just curious...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:49 am 

Thanks Mutsuk Marro.

I was concerned because of this review:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Great-Tantra- ... ewpoints=0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:12 am 

Oh boy! That is a bad review indeed...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:25 am 

I have 4 of his books but i find that the way he uses language is sometime highly contradictory.

You quite often have the feeling that he is not very skilled in construing the english meaning.
I dont know if the texts he is translating are like that or he is just not skilled enough in conveying the meaning in the english language.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:32 am 

Mutsuk Marro wrote:
Oh boy! That is a bad review indeed...

Yeah. I mean it could be someone with a grudge. On the other hand, someone who mentions reading them in the original language could very well be right. Hence my question here. For now I will pass and wait until JL and you come out with more stuff. And Malcolm's book of course.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 am 

Arnoud wrote:
Are his translations of Dzogchen tantras accurate? One review said they were bad. I generally don't go by one bad review but surely someone with knowledge here has read one of his translations.
Mutsuk Marro or Malcolm or anyone else?

In general I have a policy of not commenting on other translator's works. I may criticize a term or an opinion here or there, but in general, I keep my opinions to myself. So all I can say about anyone's translations is caveat emptor and learn Tibetan.

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:58 am 

From the small excerpts that i have read of the translations of the Dzogchen texts that he has published, i am under the impression that they suffer from a lack of proper critical editing and proofreading. They read more like early translator drafts before going through the necessary process of critical review and revision. On top of meaning and language issues, I have also noticed various blatant typographical errors, such as in the table of contents, which tend to back up this impression. Very unfortunate, as i have only heard good things about his oral skills and background.