Vajracakra

The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:06 pm 

Does anyone know what are exactly included in the book Dudjom Lingpa's Chod? I am considering ordering a copy. The rigpawiki only briefly says that the book contains a root commentary called Saraha's Heart Essence and a commentary on the root commentary, both of which discuss thirteen topics of the chod practice.

If anyone owning the book can post pictures of the table of contents, that would be wonderful. I am particularly curious about whether togal practice is touched in the book or not. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:15 pm 

You can find a fuller description here:
http://www.berotsana.org/products/dudjom-lingpas-chod

I have the book. I haven't read it cover to cover, but I don't think there is much if anything about togal. The expression "lhun grub thod rgal" occurs in the glossary and is translated as "crossing over with spontaneous presence" but at the moment I am not seeing any occurrences in the text itself. I will try to post the table of contents later.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:22 pm 

OK, the TOC is attached.

Attachments:
Dudjom-Lingpas-Chod-TOC.pdf [549.87 KiB]
Downloaded 106 times

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:39 am 

Thanks a lot for posting the TOC. It is very helpful. It appears that the teaching contained in the book covers ngondro, deity training, trekcho, and some practices that are specific to chod. Instructions on togal and tsa/lung/tigle may need to be sought in other texts of the troma cycle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:24 pm 

http://www.berotsana.org/collections/troma-publications

The Sole Essence of Clear Light, perhaps?

/magnus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:29 pm 

Yes, the book The Sole Essence of Clear Light (restricted material) contains four togal texts that are associated to the deity practice of troma. I heard that the fourth text is especially rare and precious; it is a terma text by Dudjom Lingpa and records Guru Rinpoche's instructions on how to experientially cultivate great clear light.

I do not know whether the Dudjom Troma cycle contains any text on tummo practice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:26 pm 

nonabiding wrote:
I do not know whether the Dudjom Troma cycle contains any text on tummo practice.

I don't know either, but the Dudjom Troma is part of the Khandro Tuktik which I'm fairly sure does contain text(s) on tummo practice.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:11 pm 

dzogchungpa wrote:
nonabiding wrote:
Dudjom Troma is part of the Khandro Tuktik which I'm fairly sure does contain text(s) on tummo practice.

Yes, Troma is the innermost form in Khandro Tuktik. While the roots texts of Khandro Tuktik are considered mind terma and consist mainly of sadhanas, the auxiliary commentarial texts written by Dudjom Rinpoche have considerable material extracted from other sources. I remember it is mentioned somewhere that Dudjom Rinpoche has incorporated into Khandro Tuktik a troma tummo practice from Rinchen Terdzo and that the practice differs from the usual vajravarahi tummo practice on certain key steps. But I am not able to identify either of the two texts.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:40 pm 

I have obtained a copy of Dudjom Lingpa's chod. It's content exceeds my expectation. Although the practice of togal is not discussed, the view of trekcho is presented nicely from the perspective of four samayas and most, if not all, practices including the ngondro and the deity meditation are discussed from the view of trekcho, (or based on an understanding of the nature of mind).

In the prefaces, it says, "As the translators, we made the difficult decision to not designate this as a restricted text....." Indeed, teachings such as these are rare and difficult to find!