Vajracakra

The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:32 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm
Posts: 1581
Location: Globe
smcj wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
...everyone should ignore anything I say...

For instance he does not like the Grateful Dead. That should tell you something right there. :QQ

:rollinglaughing

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvIARf_SUU

http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNmZNlAs_c

---------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:41 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm
Posts: 1581
Location: Globe
I heard him and Ben listen to I4NI.

phpBB [video]

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvIARf_SUU

http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNmZNlAs_c

---------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
Posts: 2516
Divine Pride wrote:
I heard him and Ben listen to I4NI.

phpBB [video]


:down :D

_________________
How foolish you are,
grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:53 pm
Posts: 1581
Location: Globe
Ben wrote:
:down :D

:( oh well.

Kevin :)

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMvIARf_SUU

http://www.care2.com/click-to-donate/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YNmZNlAs_c

---------


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
Posts: 2516
Off topic posts removed. Please initiate new topics in a separate thread.

_________________
How foolish you are,
grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:34 pm
Posts: 167
conebeckham wrote:
:cheers I feel so very fortunate to have met and partied with Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso, right now! :cheers

Lucky!
Not sure why, I just get the vibe that he'd be a lot of fun to be around.

Checking back in on this thread, I'm kind of sad to say I've only read the buddhanet book on Nagarjuna, and not too much else Madhyamika since then. I did pick up a short text containing Nagarjuna's Dasabhumika-vibhasa, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm planning to pick up all the books from Kalavinka Press, but I just bought a large number of books in the BDK sale. In the haul from BDK, I managed to get some works by Vasubandhu, Asanga, and some other Yogacarans. Most significantly, I picked up "Interpretations of the Buddha Land" from BDK, a Yogacara text. The next big item I'm planning to get by Xmas is the 500 page compilation of works by Vasubandhu, it's got the Karma-siddhi-prakaraṇa, which I plan to use to help answer some questions on karma that I've had lately.

Currently, I'm reading "The Treatise on the Elucidation of the Knowable" by 'Phags-pa (it's a work very heavily based on Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosa) and "The Cycle of the Formation of the Schismatic Doctrines" by Vasumitra (a summary of the doctrines of the various early schools of Buddhism). Both titles are in the same volume. It's been interesting to read which early school held which doctrine, it's not always what I would've expected.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:08 am
Posts: 78
PorkChop wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
:cheers I feel so very fortunate to have met and partied with Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso, right now! :cheers

Lucky!
Not sure why, I just get the vibe that he'd be a lot of fun to be around.

Checking back in on this thread, I'm kind of sad to say I've only read the buddhanet book on Nagarjuna, and not too much else Madhyamika since then. I did pick up a short text containing Nagarjuna's Dasabhumika-vibhasa, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm planning to pick up all the books from Kalavinka Press, but I just bought a large number of books in the BDK sale. In the haul from BDK, I managed to get some works by Vasubandhu, Asanga, and some other Yogacarans. Most significantly, I picked up "Interpretations of the Buddha Land" from BDK, a Yogacara text. The next big item I'm planning to get by Xmas is the 500 page compilation of works by Vasubandhu, it's got the Karma-siddhi-prakaraṇa, which I plan to use to help answer some questions on karma that I've had lately.

Currently, I'm reading "The Treatise on the Elucidation of the Knowable" by 'Phags-pa (it's a work very heavily based on Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosa) and "The Cycle of the Formation of the Schismatic Doctrines" by Vasumitra (a summary of the doctrines of the various early schools of Buddhism). Both titles are in the same volume. It's been interesting to read which early school held which doctrine, it's not always what I would've expected.



Doesn't really matter if you have all those books because its experiential and based on actual experience.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:52 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:09 pm
Posts: 2516
TexasBuddhist wrote:
PorkChop wrote:
conebeckham wrote:
:cheers I feel so very fortunate to have met and partied with Khenpo Tsultrim Gyamtso, right now! :cheers

Lucky!
Not sure why, I just get the vibe that he'd be a lot of fun to be around.

Checking back in on this thread, I'm kind of sad to say I've only read the buddhanet book on Nagarjuna, and not too much else Madhyamika since then. I did pick up a short text containing Nagarjuna's Dasabhumika-vibhasa, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I'm planning to pick up all the books from Kalavinka Press, but I just bought a large number of books in the BDK sale. In the haul from BDK, I managed to get some works by Vasubandhu, Asanga, and some other Yogacarans. Most significantly, I picked up "Interpretations of the Buddha Land" from BDK, a Yogacara text. The next big item I'm planning to get by Xmas is the 500 page compilation of works by Vasubandhu, it's got the Karma-siddhi-prakaraṇa, which I plan to use to help answer some questions on karma that I've had lately.

Currently, I'm reading "The Treatise on the Elucidation of the Knowable" by 'Phags-pa (it's a work very heavily based on Vasubandhu's Abhidharmakosa) and "The Cycle of the Formation of the Schismatic Doctrines" by Vasumitra (a summary of the doctrines of the various early schools of Buddhism). Both titles are in the same volume. It's been interesting to read which early school held which doctrine, it's not always what I would've expected.



Doesn't really matter if you have all those books because its experiential and based on actual experience.


No, you need to be balanced in hearing, reflection, and meditation:

Sakya Pandita:

    Even if you must die tomorrow, study today.
    Though you may not become a sage in this life,
    Your knowledge will be preserved for the future
    Just like wealth deposited and then reclaimed.

-----------------------------

    First, become well versed in all fields of knowledge,
    Later, discourse eloquently before learned gatherings,
    Finally, meditate diligently on all that you have learnt—
    This is the approach of all the buddhas of the three times.

-----------------------

Tsogom Kunga Pel:

    As for the necessity of removing doubts through study and
    reflection, the Dharma Lord [Sakya Pandita] said, "This is
    extremely important. Some now say, 'I'm going to stay in the
    mountains for all the years of my life.' They will have no
    [genuine] experiences whatsoever. If you listen to me, and if
    you study for ten years and then meditate, the genuine [experiences]
    will arise."

----------------------

Padmasambhava:

    Since you don't know what is needed in this life, study all the topics of
    knowledge!

    Ignorance is the darkest defilement: light the lamp of study and reflection!

    To teach that there is no need to study and reflect diminishes the already
    low level of knowledge and increases the already present ignorance.

Vasubandhu:

    Observing discipline, and having heard and contemplated the teachings,
    One applies oneself intensively to meditation

Ashvaghosha:

    The man of little learning is as if born blind.
    How can he meditate? On what can he reflect?
    Study then with diligence, reflect and meditate;
    Through this, vast wisdom will arise

Jé Tsongkhapa:

    At first, one should look for extensive listening.
    In between, one should take all the texts so that they appear as advice [for one’s practice],
    Finally, one should practice day and night.
    All this should be dedicated to the growth of the [Buddha’s] teaching.

Chökyi Drakpa:

    Through the wisdom that comes from hearing, you are able to recognize the disturbing emotions.
    Then through the wisdom that comes from reflection, you are able to overcome the disturbing emotions temporarily.
    And finally, through the wisdom that comes through meditation you conquer completely the enemy of negative emotions, and obtain the confidence of the inexpressible wisdom of discriminating awareness.

Jetsun Dragpa Gyaltsen:

    Although I do not possess the best understanding,
    yet by studying with learned gurus,
    by accumulating the knowledge of hearing and contemplation,
    this is how my understanding of realization arose.

_________________
How foolish you are,
grasping the letter of the text and ignoring its intention!
    - Vasubandhu


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:34 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:34 pm
Posts: 167
Thanks for the answer Ben, it's a lot better than I'd be able to come up with on my own.

I just wanted to add a couple notes:
1. Right View (also referred to as "Right Understanding") is the first step on the Noble Eightfold Path and this is gained from learning.
2. The book learning is really for the purpose of helping me understand what I see going on with my mind. It helps me contextualize.

On a slightly related note:
I'm really liking "The Treatise on the Elucidation of the Knowable" by 'Phags-pa. It's almost like Abhidarma for Dummies. Really stripped down, short and sweet, but still descriptive enough to explain things. It starts out with cosmology, but moves on to an in-depth description of the skandhas, one of the best walkthroughs of the 12 links of dependent origination I've ever read, discusses the 3 poisons as well as various groupings of delusive thinking, and even summarizes the whole 37 limbs of Enlightenment - including all the sublists like the 7 factors of Enlightenment. So far it seems like the perfect companion for the Amitabha (Shorter Sukhavati) Sutra, which is my main practice sutra. The sutra talks about a lot of these things but not in any depth. The flow of the Treatise reminds me a little bit of Lam Rim.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Some questions
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:05 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:00 am
Posts: 969
It's available for free download on the BDK site too.

http://www.bdk.or.jp/pdf/bdk/digitaldl/ ... e_2004.pdf

_________________
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong - Nyoshul Khen
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group