Vajracakra

The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:31 pm 

Josef..you state quite clearly that the five precepts are automatically taken when one receives an empowerment. Can you confirm where you have heard this and for how long they are taken please.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:31 pm 

Philji wrote:
Josef..you state quite clearly that the five precepts are automatically taken when one receives an empowerment. Can you confirm where you have heard this and for how long they are taken please.

I can confirm this. The source, HH Sakya Trizin, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, ad nauseam. They are Mahāyāna refuge vows, so they are taken from now until awakening is attained. One also receives the five precepts as a result of taking them. Bodhisattva vows are also included in every Vajrayāna empowerment.

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:41 pm 

Malcolm wrote:
Philji wrote:

I can confirm this. The source, HH Sakya Trizin, Chogyal Namkhai Norbu, ad nauseam. They are Mahāyāna refuge vows, so they are taken from now until awakening is attained. One also receives the five precepts as a result of taking them. Bodhisattva vows are also included in every Vajrayāna empowerment.

I wasnt aware of this, i knew that refuge and bodhisattva vows were taken. Had heard no mention of any precepts. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:01 pm 

Philji wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Philji wrote:

I wasnt aware of this, i knew that refuge and bodhisattva vows were taken. Had heard no mention of any precepts. Thanks.

Whenever you take vows, precepts are always included or renewed.

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:32 pm 

Malcolm wrote:
Philji wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Philji wrote:

I realize this has been discussed before but evidently some of us are unaware we are taking these precepts and vows in the context of an empowerment. Do we still receive them or the empowerment for that matter?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 am 

Yan Kong wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Philji wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
Philji wrote:

I realize this has been discussed before but evidently some of us are unaware we are taking these precepts and vows in the context of an empowerment. Do we still receive them or the empowerment for that matter?

If you understood what you were saying yes, if not, no.

-- Chogyal Namkhai Norbu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:42 am 

Thanks Malcom