Vajracakra

The Forum For Traditional Vajrayāna
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Choosing a yidam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:09 am 

Hi,

how does one choose a personal yidam deity? As far as I understand personal yidam is the deity we have the best connection with. How do we know which deity it is? Is it something only a teacher can tell us, or do we just watch ourselves and when we see some connection, then we go for the deity?

For example, several times in my dreams I have recited mani mantra as the first response to some danger or wish to benefit someone in those dreams. Could that be interpreted as a sort of a sign of connection with Chenrezig?

Post subject: Re: Choosing a yidam
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:32 am 

Mirek wrote:
Hi,

how does one choose a personal yidam deity? As far as I understand personal yidam is the deity we have the best connection with. How do we know which deity it is? Is it something only a teacher can tell us, or do we just watch ourselves and when we see some connection, then we go for the deity?

For example, several times in my dreams I have recited mani mantra as the first response to some danger or wish to benefit someone in those dreams. Could that be interpreted as a sort of a sign of connection with Chenrezig?

I am a hard-liner on this and similar issues.

If you have a teacher ask her/his endorsement first.
Otherwise the same largely unconscious driving forces that keep us in Samsara might want their say in this matter.

There are of course other views. :anjali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm 

It's something that will become obvious to you in time.

http://zangpo.me

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:58 pm 

Mirek wrote:
Hi,

I think I remember hearing had you had no connection to the deity you'd have no ability to receive their empowerment. It could be a bad or good one, but either is better than none at all. I think what you have described is a sign of some connection.

I've heard that the idea of a personal yidam is more of a lower tantra thing.

In the end, you decide to receive the empowerment. I wouldn't let someone tell me to receive an empowerment. Gurus want us to be independent, if you meet one that doesn't - run.

I wouldn't worry about finding a yidam. I'd be more concerned with finding a Lama that is enlightened and is free from controversy. Because if you end up pursuing higher tantra, the Three Jewels and Three Roots are unified in the Lama.

Have you used search?

Still have a question?

You best ask a senior student or Rinpoche in a private message: http://kunsangar.org/media/cmsmediafile ... ERS%20.pdf